11 April 2008

Slick

Last night I took my lovely friend Louise to the Linbury Studio at the ROH to see Ballet Black , who I’ve heard of before, but never seen.

Blimey, they n'half slick.

Just six dancers, three ladies and three chaps form Ballet Black, and last night they treated us to just over an hour of amazing stage presence and class.

The first two dances were by far my favourites. Walk Through a Storm, the first classical piece by Richard Alston in 25 years was beautiful. All pointwork and pirouettes – it was both quirky and graceful, and the music (Beethoven) was perfect.
The second piece was Shobana Jeyasingh’s first ever creation – and it took my breath away. All red rubber skirts and tight denim body suits it was high energy and incredibly quick. It reminded me in some ways of “House of Flying Daggers”, in a very good way.






1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just found your blog! Hang in there! If I can lose the weight- so can you- I did a 5K today-it was inspiring to beat a lot of the 20 year old stick girls I work with- I am 42!