30 May 2010

Am too old...

for this level of activity.

Wednesday night I was treated to my new hair hat by my lovely Girls for my birthday. The husband of the uber-stylish-even-in-pregnancy Mrs Darling, is an amazing hair dresser - and I went for a proper big old chop, loosing 20 inches and gaining the kind of access to the back of my neck I haven't had in over 10 years. Totally liberating and totally fabulous.

Thursday night I went to Union Club with my always-good-value-for-money author friends for more gin than is wise on a school night. And the hangover started before we'd even ordered that last round....

Friday we had cupcakes and chitter chatter in the office with the adorable and hysterical Adriana. With gossip from the previous nights SATC 2 red carpet, and updates on the super new Valentine stories, it was my most favourite way to spend a couple of hours at 2Two2.

Friday night we splashed out on 6 seats in the Scene section of the newly opened Vue cinema in Westfield for THE movie event of the year. And despite all the shitty reviews from the shriveled old crone critics who just don't GET the phenomenon that is SATC, I enjoyed every last second of it. There were laughs a plenty, fashion overload, girl talk, bonding, love and friendship - exactly what SATC is all about, and if you don't get it, just fuck off, don't watch it, and don't try and ruin it for those of us that do.

Yesterday was then another early start for my Birthday Lunch Club with The Girls. The secrecy wrapped around this day was a shocker with all manner of red herrings and half truths floating about to throw me off the scent. We started off with croissants and frappacino at Victoria station, a fast train to the beautiful seaside town of Whitstable in Kent - complete with a pass the parcel, for a mooch and meander around the twee boutiques and galleries, and the most amazing lunch at Whitstable Oyster Fishery Co on the seafront. Over 10 years ago an ex introduced me to both the town and the restaurant, and I've banged on about the most perfectly simple meal of grilled mackerel and apple sauce time and time again - and 10 years on it's still as fantastic as it was all those years ago. I was also treated to a platter of the famous Whistable Oysters, a never ending flow of rose prosecco....and even a party bag!




There is nothing better than quaffing champagne on a train coming home, picking up nibbles and munchies, and retiring to Lorrie's for a marathon SATC and Britain's Got Talent TV night, the perfect end to a perfect day. Thanks Girls - you all did me proud!

Then today, with a hangover from hell and exhausted from all the hoopla, I dusted, and tidied, and changed the bed, and cleaned the kitchen, and then we opened the paint - and started redecorating the bathroom. We are a few coats away from finishing, but it's looking clean, fresh and bright - and even in my weary state I'm glad we did it today - cause that means tomorrow he might let me lie in!

No comments: